Wednesday 7 January 2015

A room for my little guy


I mentioned the other day that my first project of the year is to complete my son's bedroom. 
Being the slightly controlling person that I am, I have given him a few choices on many pieces & he himself have narrowed things down & I am impressed!

Here's where we're at.


I guess you could say we are headed in a slight woodsman / ski lodge direction, without all the wood!

My ultimate goal is that he will easily grow into his room from now until he's a teenager, without too much change.

I've toyed around with the idea of buying the bed on the board from Ikea or the Gemma Campaign bed with storage from Pottery Barn. I like both, but let's face it there is a huge difference in price. I figured with the help of my grandfather, together we could make a killer one that combined what I like about both. And it would be a great project for he & I to do together.

I'd also like to make the bookshelf too, ooh & the giant O, but not sure if I would be pressing my luck!

There is a little alcove that currently has a small vintage desk that I picked up a few years ago at a garage sale for $6. It need some TLC. I haven't quite figured that part out yet! This is where O does all of his Lego but I figured as he grows the Lego will eventually go & this will become his homework area.

The sliding closet mirror doors are coming off, the inside will be painted blue (I think) & a white dresser will be set back into the opening. I would love to see a the desser topped off with a nice slab of stone, but I will have to see how this fits into the budget. He will need a bit of hanging space & I'm dreaming up some type of conduit piping thing-y.

If you know me then you're aware that I would rather stick needles in my eyes than paint a wall, so I plan on doing 80% of this project myself & having my painter do the painting. 

To Do's: 
Paint & make new drapery
Do something to the existing desk & chair
make & paint bookshelf 
create the closet & built the dresser, figure out the piping
make really awesome bedside lamp
sew pillows
recover a vintage folding stool
make an O marquee light
paint an existing canvas laundry bag
make or buy / put together the platform bed with storage
find a frame the art

Holy Moly that is a mother of a list. Wish me luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I enjoy your feedback.