Wednesday 14 October 2015

#projecthillview Update


As promised I am going to give you an update over at #projecthillview. 
Since mid June we, and when I say we, I mean my Uncles, brother in law & various trades have been creating our new home, but not without various hurdles. That being said as we get closer to moving in I can see my vision for each space coming to life before my eyes. 

So here's the long & short of it.
We removed all of the interior walls & completely opened up the ceiling & now the ceiling throughout, follows the roof line. This turned out to be a major kick in the budget stomach, 3 major structural beams, architects & engineers - it was a doozey- but most definitely worth it. Once everything was opened up, there were a few code issues that first & foremost had to be addressed - another kick to the budget! The super tiny outdated kitchen was relocated from the back of the house to the front. A Jack n' Jill was added for the kids. The existing main bath & master ensuite was opened up to make one large bathroom that is accessible from the hall & the master & we majorly updated the full bathroom on the lower level. Oh yeah, we also chose to fully complete the lower level too - again it hurt the budget too, but we opted for one big mess now & since the home is a bungalow it doubled our daily living space.  There is not one square inch of wasted space.

I thought showing these as the durings will make the afters look especially good.








 All of the windows & doors were upgraded & we added 2 window walls of bi folding doors that open up on to the backyard. Some windows were made larger & others were filled in completely. The exterior also got a coat of Benjamin Moore Black Jack - I love this black, it's certainly black with a hit of brown & grey. The windows were ordered in black for both interior & exterior. For budgetary reasons we opted to paint all of the eaves trough, flashing & the existing garage door. We're still waiting for the ginormous front door, that will really bring this exterior to life.

Before:


After:



As we stand right now, the entire place has been spray foam insulated, drywalling has been completed, the tiling is done, the walls have had 1 coat of paint but the ceilings are done. The electrical / lighting is almost finished, plumbing fixtures are waiting to be installed& the hardwood is being delivered Friday. Mill work & appliances are coming the last week of October. As far as I see it we'll be moving in very, very soon & I can't wait!!!







Well that's it for now, until we get in & I can begin to style it up, then I'll do complete before & afters of each space.

Make sure you come back tomorrow & check in on the progress of my One Room Challenge.



1 comment:

Thanks for reading. I enjoy your feedback.